It has been proven that if you don’t believe you will not succeed. How can you achieve something if you don’t believe you can?
Our beliefs are what we decide we want to think is true – based on our own personal experiences and information we have learned through our lives. It is the only common factor in determining your ability to achieve something. If you don’t believe you are capable of achieving, then, you will not achieve. However, if you believe in yourself, you will likely endure in finding a way to succeed. “Unbelief” manifests itself in the same way – if you have a thought, but believe it will not occur, then forces will drive your thoughts and emotions to be true – it will not occur.
Your power is very forceful and real.
“Whether you think you can or whether you think you can’t, you’re right.” – Henry Ford
While Shawn Achor was specifically talking about happiness in his book, The Happiness Advantage, he explains that the brain scans for positive or negative meanings from the input it receives. Problems arise when you program your brain to scan for the negative (disbelief) before positive (belief). By scanning for the negative first, we ultimately shut down opportunities to succeed because we are masking our ability to see positively. We need to program our brains to look for the positives first and believe.
While there is relevance in the “law of attraction” (think about something and you will attract like things), I am not saying that by simply thinking of things, they will automatically appear. That is more “wishing” than believing. Believing is having the confidence that you will be able to do what’s necessary to achieve your goal. You will put the steps in place to be successful. Begin believing in yourself and see the power it unleashes. Doors will open because you are “looking” for them to open. If you are negative with a closed mind, you may not recognize the opportunities in front of you.
Here are a few examples of what you can do to see things more positively:
- Positive is a choice – being positive is a choice and you can control how you approach your thoughts. You know when you are thinking negatively. If you recognize your thoughts as negative, simply shift them to being more positive.
- Positive Affirmations – repeat positive statements of your desired outcomes. This repetition will build positive momentum in your subconscious thinking and open your mind up to success and positive thinking.
- Visualization – like affirmations, visualizing yourself being successful will cause you to be more positive. Visualize yourself succeeding – experience every moment and all of the senses. The more realistic your visualization, the more powerful it will be.
- Eliminate negative influences. External factors have a significant impact on our thoughts. You need to recognize the negative influences in your life and replace them with positive. Generally these negative influences are people at work, friends and even family. While not always easy, you need to minimize interaction with these toxic influences and replace them with supportive and positive influences.
- Share Positivity – the true impact of becoming positive is your ability to share being positive with others. Like many things in life, being positive is contagious – make an effort to smile at someone else, share a compliment, reinforce that someone has done a great job. Bottom line, Be Good to People.
The outcomes of our activities will greatly depend on how we look them. Take time to understand your thoughts and guide them toward the positive.