Connecting Happiness and Success
Success doesn’t lead to happiness. Happiness leads to success.
Many people know they want to be successful. But they don’t have a clear definition of what is success and they don’t have a clear understanding of why they want to be successful. They single-mindedly pursue a a promotion or a raise without consideration for the consequences. Then once they get that reward, the feeling is empty. The sense of satisfaction quickly wears off and they quickly began pursuit of another goal. They forgo happiness now with the belief it will be abundant when they reach that next goal. But happiness never seems to be reachable. It is always over the horizon. They have the formula backwards, Success doesn’t lead to happiness. Happiness leads to success.
This book is written to help people find their success by focusing on their happiness first. It includes research from the field of Positive Psychology and my own experiences at work, teaching leadership classes, and in mentoring and coaching. The book includes explanations of why these concepts work, how to implement them, and activities to implement happiness in your life.
- Pleasure vs. Happiness – The pursuit of pleasure involves feeling good in the short-term, and if overdone, creates a risk of negative long-term outcomes; the pursuit of happiness consists of intentional activities and habits that promote long term health and well-being.
- Control Your Life – You can be a victim of your circumstances or you can choose to own and change your life so you can create your own happiness.
- Positive Relationships – Positive relationships form a foundation for happiness and success. How we navigate and participate in our relationships has a significant impact on our happiness as well as our health, longevity, and success.
- Higher Purpose – Our Higher Purpose is how we find deep meaning and fulfillment in our lives by contributing to someone or something that is bigger than ourselves.
- Define Success – We can’t get there if we don’t know where we are going
- Clarify and Prioritize – What is our plan. How do we make it happen. What comes first.
- Daily Habits – Success and Happiness are a result of what we do everyday. How do we create daily habits that we are successful and happy today rather than waiting for some future accomplishment that may or many not materialize.